Google search

Custom Search

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Captain Owen Honors

     I know this is old news, but I thought I would weigh in on it real quick. What a mess this who situation turned out to be. Heres the story just in case you havent heard it yet.  Captian Honors was the Executive Officer and later the Commanding Officer of the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise.  During his tour as XO, he made some videos to be shown on the ships internal CCTV called "XO movie night".  These videos included, in my opinion, pretty much everything you would encounter on a normal underway. Gay jokes, lesbian jokes, masturbation jokes and fowl language.  I have watched the video and I personally loved it, I was laughing the whole way thru. Now I was stationed on submarines and that was the norm like I said before. 
     Back to Capt. Honors, he was black listed by the Navy. He was relieved of command and then given a letter of censure, essential ending his career because promotion is 99.9% impossible with a letter of censure in your record. But he did not go down with out a fight. Most of Honors boss's had to come out and say something on record to cover there own backsides. They all said essentially that they didnt know about the movies or didnt approve of  them at the time. Honors called them out and claimed that they not only knew about the movies, they liked them and said nothing about stopping them. In the end four letters of censure and 34 non punitive letters of caution were issued.
Captain Owen Honors in the media, It is a biased report on what Honors did and basically made him look like the worst person on the face of the earth (but thats my opinion).
I can understand the dilemma that the big brass had on their hands. A senior Officer who is in charge of our countries most power weapon of war is a goof ball and doesnt give a damn about being politically correct. I have had more counselings/conversations with my chiefs about appearance and interpretations than I care to remember, but they were right. The interpretation to the world is that the senior leadership on that ship was not professional and there-for the entire ship was not professional. Although I would have loved to serve with Captian Honors, I think in the end the big dogs in DC had no choice to do what they did and were correct in doing so. Honors transferred to an administrative job.

No comments:

Post a Comment